And with a heavy heart I introduce to you...Iron Press

I really wanted to like this place.  Very badly.  Every time I visit The Mix, or OC Mix Mart, or SOCO, or whatever the hell that place is called, The Iron Press is always packed.  So on one sunny Saturday, I was stoked when there were tons of seats for my friends and I to sit down and grab some lunch.  I had been waiting months to have some chicken and waffles.

A piece of fried chicken and a waffle
Well, I wish I hadn't waited.  I mean, okay fine, the place isn't THAT bad.  But after Roscoe's Chicken and Waffles, Screen Door, and even Memphis, I really had high expectations for a place whose soul job was to bust out waffles.  But then I saw what they did.  They had a cook stand and make waffles and then just have them sit out - becoming cold and hard.  Not what you want in a waffle...

literally three chips...we didn't eat anything yet, that was the portion
Of course I ordered the chicken and waffles.  Well it was a chicken - literally one piece.  The waffle was cold, nothing special.  The breading on the chicken WAS good, it just wasn't much chicken.  My boyfriend ordered a chicken pesto sandwich.  That was also quite disappointing in the portion of the sandwich and the three chips on the side.  But the sandwich was actually pretty good - just too much breading. 

best thing that we ordered that day
The highlight of the meal though was my friend Neda's chicken prosciutto sandwich.  She got it on normal bread (which probably helped make it better), and got a side of amazing waffle fries.  Everything about that sandwich was tasty - but why do I need to go to a waffle shop for it?

just a couple of tasty beers to help wash down my disappointment
I will say that this is definitely a restaurant to take a craft beer drinker.  The options are expansive and nothing goes better with beer then some fries.  But for all other food options, I just wasn't that impressed.  I haven't had Bruxie's to compare, but I have a feeling that I am going to have to make another trip back to Screen Door for some of the best fried chicken and waffles around...

 

1 comment:

  1. This looks promising. I think it is perfect for our summer outing soon. Thanks for this!By the way, what really concerns me more and more is the WATER QUALITY in OC cities. Horrible chemicals in our tap water.
    I checked my city ( Aliso Viejo) and found Fluoride is added. Uggh.
    If you want to check your city, Google your local water quality report . I used this site, it had all of Socal and OC cities listed : http://aqualistic.com/water-quality-in-your-city/

    ReplyDelete