A little bit of the East Coast for your mouth.

Since moving from San Francisco I have been on a mission to find a good deli.  A good sandwich can really make your afternoon.  However, OC - the land of chains - hasn't offered too many options.  Subway, Quiznos, and Togo are fine but nothing special.  Nate's Korner is always a great option but too far from my work.  This new chain went in close by and I finally checked it out.

As I mentioned, chains are...well honestly they suck.  Usually I avoid them like the plague, but something told me to check out Capriotti's.  A bit of East Coast deli right in Newport.


It is your typical quick sandwich place, pre-measured meats and weighed out veggies, yet it is magical.  I ordered a Philly cheesesteak and my boyfriend got the meatball.  The cheesesteak melted in your mouth.  The bread was dead on, not too much not too little, the meat was hot and steamy and NOT fatty or fake. I ordered it dry with fried onions, mushrooms, and sweet peppers.  It was better than the cheesesteak I ordered in the Philly airport.  I will dream about that sandwich.


The meatball was not quite as special.  Don't get me wrong it was a good sandwich.  But in comparison to the cheesesteak, my boyfriend and I both agreed that it was just sort of ordinary.  The meatballs were delicious, served on an Italian roll with really good marina and lots of cheese.  But that was just it, it was a LOT of cheese and a LOT of bread.  Almost like a grilled cheese with some extra meat thrown in.  While I would order it again, it wouldn't be the first thing I went back for.

Next trip I am going to try out the Capastrami - pastrami, coleslaw, russian dressing, swiss cheese.  Sounds like it could be heaven to me.
Capriotti's Sandwich Shop on Urbanspoon

No comments:

Post a Comment